Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Excerpt from Book One: The Agent's Retreat

“It looks like you should be fine here, Aldonza has everything under control and seems very fond of you. Of course, I’d like you to let me know if you need anything…I mean you’re not 100% just yet,”said Anne smiling.
The protective nurse began to emerge--probably more so to protect the uncomfortable nurse.

She continued as she packed up her things, “You really will need to stay off that ankle for another week or so and then gradually start putting weighed on it. The bandage on your back should be changed again Wednesday… And I can show Aldonza if you’d like me to.”
“Gosh, it sounds as though my nurse is quitting…” said Zeke sadly.
“No…of course not, it’s just that I thought you might want to get back to your vacation and not be pestered all the time.”
Zeke sat forward in her chair looking directly at Anne, “why on earth would you say a thing like that?”
Stunned by Zeke’s frankness, Anne stammered, “I don’t know…”
“In spite of the bizarre circumstances, I have really enjoyed the time we’ve spent together, and I liked the fact that I had a friend in New Mexico.” Zeke responded warmly.
Now Anne felt like a complete fool, “Oh no…I mean, I do too. I’ve enjoyed it. It’s just, well…sometime people feel smothered…that’s all.”
“You know, Anne, sometimes having a job like mine creates a sense of disconnectedness and a sense of being adrift. I have my parents in Mississippi, but I don’t have a lot of close friends and I thought we kind of connected”
Anne was actually blushing by now. “Shoot me now for being so stupid. I was just way off.”
“I don’t think I would say that to an armed Federal officer.” They both laughed at the reference.
Anne stood up and picked up the empty beer bottles, Zeke followed her into her room.

“I should really get going; I do need to work tomorrow.”
“Right.” They both just stood still--not more that three feet apart.
“Why don’t you give me a call later to let me know how you’re faring?”
“I will,” said Zeke leaning against the desk and setting the crutches aside.

Anne started to take a step toward the door and Zeke opened her arms; Anne turned involuntarily and was drawn into a warm but tentative embrace as Zeke said, “I appreciate everything you’ve done, I really mean it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment